Wednesday, July 4, 2012

那些年,我們一起追日落



Taking a trip down memory lane. Have you ever thought of a reason for everything that happens in life? Well, I do.
If I didn't like working in the previous unit, I wouldn't have quit and realized that I actually like the environment. I wouldn't have so randomly decided to email Candy and land myself in the most amazing experience ever.
It all started with this. Looking back, I definitely had the intention to just leave after the first week. Thick stack of application forms I printed -  those were the torturous ones where I literally had to open up each and every single one. Not forgetting the fact how one collegaue claimed that I didn't look properly and carefully for her documents. And there was the interview centre which was really boring. Just one week and I thought of getting myself out of the place. But, I didn't because it would all seem weak and wasteful if I can't even stay at a workplace for more than a month. I convinced myself that I had to bring out more perserverance.

I thought I will even not have any liking for the job when Narinder left. Well, I was only closer to her then. Plus, I don't spend lunches with them. I chose to stay in my comfort zone of eating with the temps from upstairs instead. Other than Narinder, Malini and Jeanette, I simply had not much impression of any memories with the rest. Talk about Wai Lin - I totally have no memory of her initially!

But things got better along the way, starting from the day of Narinder's farewell. Joyce brought all of us out to Clementi Mall's Mcdonalds where I thought, was really the turning point. Despite being an angst temp, I got convinced by a McChicken treat. Actually, I can still fondly remember the moments of queing up for it. How Judy said she need to eat something lighter but end up getting something rather heavy. How I said I wanted just a McChicken burger but end up ordering a meal because it's cheaper with the inflation of prices. How Malini was praising that the Wasabi burger was all so nice. And that was the day I got my first treat.

That treat, actually sparked my desire to go for lunch with them more. The next thing I remembered was going away for 1 week and getting to know Melissa when I was back. Real friendly indeed -  she came to me while I was talking to Jeanette and afterwards, she spoke to me in Chinese. (I still can't believe how anyone would start a conversation with someone unfamiliar in Chinese). Lunching out with Jeanette, Wai Lin and Melissa was always fun and interesting. There was once where I went out for lunch with everyone except the AHREs and it was quite awkward for me since everyone was talking about work and kids. Ended up talking to Mel instead and it made lunch less boring. Of course, I had some fun times teaching Melissa what we, TCs do and aid her in the preparations for interviews. I will probably not forget the times I always reminded her to take her jacket when she leaves for an interview. ;-)

Wai Lin went on her holiday and we put Jeanette the soft toy to worked on her behalf. She came back with a soft toy named Wong Wong. To me, it looks like a monkey or sorts but apparently, it's a teapot - One with a head much much bigger than its body. It can hardly stand on its own but have to lean on something instead.
And then one fine day during lunch, we decided to take random photos of Jeanette the toy and a small little elmo that Wai Lin was going to give it to her friend. Did I mention that they actually had Pringles and Milo as part of their welfare for that month? So yes, we took many many random photos, with Elmo, with Jeanette, with Pringles and of course, with the 3 of us inside.

While Wai Lin went on MC one day, I took a picture of Jeanette strangling the toy and demanded that we should have a treat to mee kia and mee pok. And well.... I got that treat eventually.....

Oh yes and if you were to ask me what's one thing that makes me remember Ivy. I would say... food! I had been eating from the yong tau foo stall in the canteen most of the time and over lunch one day, I saw Ivy eating one of my favorites: Xing Chow Bee Hoon. And after that, I started eating this quite frequently. It literally became one of my favorites from the canteen!

May joined the team in April. While I was all busy helping Malini, Jeanette taught her almost everything that we knew, ranging from how we clear generic emails to what we do at interview centres. I didn't really have much interactions with her since she often lunch-ed in and Jeanette aided her in the preparations. But, the we-cannot-find-the-room-key incident was one major event that I got to know her alittle better. Thankfully, everything was alright eventually.

Then, Jeanette's last day came all too soon. We had only one week left with her around but it was great. Managed to get her to cut lots of paper for us which ended up with her calling herself the paper-cutter. But, it was really beneficial to all of us later on.

Joyce called pizza delivery on her last day (although it wasn't exactly the reason why she called for it) and it was the first time ( for me) taking pictures with almost everyone in the office. Despite the draggy interview, we saved pizzas for her and Melissa and I had the honour of using the office's microwave for the first time to reheat the pizza for Melissa. Guess it wasn't too diffcult to operate an unfamiliar machine afterall.....
With Jeanette's absence, things got busier. Manning interview counters everyday, for 5 days a week wasn't pretty much easy. Sometimes, sitting past 6pm makes me feel all drowsy and tired. Having interviews early in the morning didn't do much difference since I had to wake up earlier and was equally drowsy during the interviews. One fine evening, as I left the office at 645pm, I saw this scene just as I was about to head towards the MRT. Despite working there for 2 months already, I had never realized that there is a still-not-too-bad sunset that presents itself in front of me everyday ( or maybe leaving at 6 punctually does not allow us to see sunset). That particular evening, I sent the image to Wai Lin and subsequently Melissa and somehow or rather, I unintentionally started this thing about seeing sunset everyday. If Melissa wanted to see some sunlight at the end of the day, she have to be out and down by 650pm latest. Similarly, I tried to make sure I do get to see sunset everyday.
Going to 5th floor MESRC to take a look at what sales was ongoing became a routine because Wai Lin was (most of the time) interested. When May joined us, it became a more frequent daily event and I will end up standing in front of the sales schedule before heading home once every week. One Monday, Goodwood park Hotel came to our very own 5th floor with their famous durian puff. Therefore, Wai Lin, May and I headed down to take a look and eventually bought a box to share. This box lasted us for almost 4 days. It couldn't really defrost within an hour because the office was rather cold. I still remembered that it took about 1.5-2 hours before it actually taste creamy and not like frozen ice-cream. Nevertheless, 5th floor was a really important part of life there.

Everyone in the office except the AHREs went away for 2 days and it was really quiet in the office. On the first day, Malini bought breakfast for Wai Lin and I. It was a really hearty breakfast I must say because it lasted me till late afternoon and I end up skipping lunch. We had a surprise from Judy as well, who treated us to Tau Huey. So... that made a hearty breakfast even more exciting ( and fattening). I must say the breakfast was really good and I am quite thankfully that Malini bought us brunch.

And then in the afternoon, I decided that I will do some cleaning up for my table and the table for the new TCs. Cleaned the tables, phone, laptops and anything on my table with wet and dry tissue. Eventually, Wai Lin got influenced and started cleaning hers as well. So... the afternoon was spent helping her pack the forms under her table and moving it to the cupboards. Honestly, I missed Jeanette at that point in time because I was really too short and couldn't reach for the top of the cabinet. Haha. End of the day, it was an achivement accomplished.

10th May. A new TC came in! Hui yi was really lucky because she managed to go to a new place for lunch everyday for the first week of her stay with us. And she managed to complete the mission that Jeanette didn't finish - grand opening for the packet of keropok on Malini's table!

Wai Lin and I planned a trip to J cube mall after hearing the adventures of May and Malini. Tried to get Jeanette down but she decided to go jogging instead.We managed to catch a little bit of the sunset upon reaching and it was quite an amazing sight. The night was well spent with a walk to explore the mall, watching the making of stickys, dinner at old town coffee and a really long chat session. Funny how I was being 'followed' by some ah peh in baggy top, cigarette and draggy sandals after that as I reach home at 12am.

Joyce decided to get Ben and Jerry's ice cream for everyone and got me to go with her to get it. I was really tired at 4pm that friday and I can still remember how Joyce said I look so sian so I should take a walk with her. Decided to take the underpass and while waiting for the ice cream to be packed, she tried to take a photo using her front camera. It was a really good shot with me making a not-so-usual face. haha. And on the way back, we decided to cross the road and it is not possible to forget how she said i was very 'guo duan' when crossing the road as I got her to cross with me with motorcycles heading our way.


Went for my short holiday and when I was back, my last day was nearing. Finally one evening, I had the chance of interacting with May as we took the MRT to bartley where her husband came to fetch me and dropped me off at my destination. While waiting for her husband's arrival, we had a chat about crashing wai lin's house and about happy call pans. Funny topic indeed. At the same time, I noticed the beautiful sunset in front of us. And I wondered, how come we are constantly trying to catch the sun before it sets. Never gave it a deeper thought though. Nevertheless, I had a short interaction with May's son Azriel. He was more interested in my phone than me actually. 

Subsequently, Joseleen and May decided to treat me lunch as a form or farewell. So.. we went to the market to have claypot rice, courtesy of Joseleen and Holland Village for swensens, courtesy of May. I don't particularly like farewells but those lunch treats will always be a significant memory of my time there.

Decided to wear a pair of wedges I haven't worn in a long time because Wai Lin asked if I had wedges. Thought it was rather comfortable until the bottom came off when I was walking to the interview centre. Thankfully, Melissa had an extra pair of flats that she bought recently. Although it doesn't cost that much, the fact that it was chosen by her daughter makes it a very different pair of flats. Had the intention of getting it from her after the interview end but she surprised me by bringing it over to the interview centre for me. Can't describe how touched I was by her little gesture.

   
The final week has finally arrived and although there was a tinge of sadness, I had a very enjoyable last week. I travelled to Clementi Mall with May, Wai Lin and Huiyi on Monday to enjoy a family meal of KFC before going to Eskimo to get milk tea with pearl (which huiyi treated me). Managed to explore the newly renovated coffeeshop with a huge serving of charsiew/bbq meat rice. Had a big treat from Joyce at The Tanjong on weds. It was a really good meal I must say and I was really glad that most people made it there. It was the first time I saw such a big group of our unit lunching and chatting together. Not forgetting the funny antics of Melissa as she attempts to hide behind the menu. I definitely had the honour to be there. Thursday was lunching out at One-North with the a part of the unit and Melissa treated me to noodles. Every meal of mine was a treat that my wallet literally had no use for the last few days. 

29 June - My last and final day. It wasn't all about working anymore. It was about saying the final goodbyes and just having fun. I had a really good lunch with Wai Lin, Melissa, Malini, May, Hui Yi and Judy. It was really, just fun the way I wanted it to be. Being it my last time at the canteen, I tried the Nasi Briyani for the first time; a treat from Malini and ate my favorite Xing Chow Bee Hoon. Appreciate that Hui yi shared the food with me. Wrote notes and letters to them and there were moments when I had a re-cap of some memories as they read it. Yes Malini, I can say I am very proud to be a TC after how it all started. And I am definitely proud to have you as my mentor and being the first TC to be trained by you. heh. 

I am really appreciative to those who were in the office then in agreeing to take one last group picture with me as well as Huiyi, who gave me the polaroid. Wai Lin asked me the day before if I would need tissue. Truthfully, I thought I might need it. But eventually, I left  on a happy note. There were some moments when I nearly teared though: that very moment Melissa gave me a hug, when Ivy shook my hand and told me that I must go back when I am free and when I said bye before walking out of the office.

The journey may have ended but the memories will never disappear. So why this blog title? Well, during my 5 months stay here, I realized that many of us constantly seek to leave before the sky turns all dark and this has been a significant part of my experience as I too, became one of those who attempt to see sunset everyday. I have learnt so much just like Kam Yoke have said, "her pockets are filled to the brim and she have brought away so much [more than i had ever expected]". I believe that one fine day, I will be back again, to join the chasing of sunsets with these amazing people.

"Ring Ring! You won't be able to see sunset if you don't leave in the next 5 minutes!!!!"

那些年,我們一起追日落...


No comments:

Post a Comment